Wednesday, March 29, 2023

2.0 TSI Engine Teardown After Engine Failure

Main 2.0 TSI Engine Teardown After Engine Failure

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Timing Chain tensioner failure? Today we are tearing down an Audi 2.0 TSI engine. This is very similar to the VW TSI engine. Both TSI engines have timing …

HumbleMechanic

Because it will come up… I mentioned chain stretch several times. This is the common language that is used in the scan tool and repair manual. Technically that is wrong. Chains wear not stretch.

James Lee

WHats the mileage on that engine to have so much gunk and valve problems

azrul nizam

This what happen when you choose plastic over metal. Better going back to the iron block era.

pete smyth

people buy German made thinking they are buying quality..

Sebastian Neumann

The Engines are alright if you maintain them well and also make sure to drive them warm properly. What we actually did when there was probable impact was that we put fuel in the intake and exhaust shaft and see if the valves are leaking through.

Adam Lesandrini

Be designed a cam where the lobes spin? Only the germans

G.S

I don't like vag at all but if the owners do the proper maintance couldn't they avoid these repairs?

feeesh.

jeez… and I thought my n42 was a terrible engine

genius3258

2.0TSI is a faliure no matter if it is broken or not

Spikes Hostage

Today's engines are more fuel efficient and have flex fuel "most of them". And there engine block it's self causes carbine build up around the values inside the engine because today's engines are smaller and run hotter.

Older engines don't run as hot and don't get as much carbine build up as quick as to days engines and they are fuel efficient but not as much as much fuel efficient as today engines.
    SO ITS LIKE TODAYS ENGINES HAVE WHAT THE OLD ENGINES DON'T HAVE BUT NEED TO HAVE BUT STILL GREAT.
    AND THE OLD ENGINES HAVE WHAT TODAY'S ENGINES DON'T HAVE AND NEED IT. Strange but Tru.

Roadspike

yeah those TSI engines are just cheap garbage. I had MK6 GTI and it went through like 3 water pumps….

ZesarMad

Quick question, is this the same TSI engine used on 2011 Tiguans?

Ken Seagle

What year (generation) is this engine?

EA888 gen 1,2, or 3?

golfgti9a

I really don't like new vw engines, all previously 1.8 and 2.0 16v engines were bulletproof (KR, PL, 9A, 6A, ABF) and alot more simple

dormstories

So Volkswagen can't do a single piece camshaft anymore? How can a camshaft get 90 degrees out of phase without chain or belt actually snapping? That is some "let's design it so it breaks and make it hugely expensive to replace to that you can buy a new one" design.

Kenneth James

Stereotypical four ring circus..lol sorry…we send VWs and Audis to a specialized shop close by for in depth work…

Darren Coull

Just curious, why $4000 of repairs to fix this up? Obviously a fair amount of labour, but are VAG parts that overpriced? From what you describe (just timing and top end) this engine needs valves, replace all seals and gaskets, new timing chain & tensioners and that water pump. Or is it cheaper to just get a reconditioned head?

Ken Ku

Great video! Very informative.

pablolam

What a nightmare. The oldest vw engines are much better, much reliable, 1.8t 20v or vr6

Peter Soboyejo

Is this part of the MQB family in the 2015+ GTIs?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.